After starting to come out and rise above the doldrums from the “Winter Blues”, I am realizing just how much I have to be grateful for! I am also learning how necessary it is for me to recite and repeat all the things I am grateful for in my life – even during the “darker days”. It’s certainly not easy to always feel grateful on one of those days where we wonder what in the world we are doing, worrying about the future and all the day-to-day problems we have. But for me to stay in the “right frame of mind” I am realizing I must commit to having an attitude of gratitude.
What happens when the realities of our world come crashing down?
How about when:
- We lose a job and are trying to figure out how we are going to pay our mortgage;
- We are struggling with our kids;
- We are depressed and wondering why – and nothing seems to help;
- We wake up and our husband has his bags packed after 22 years of marriage and says, “I am leaving you…. I found someone else to be with.”
- We are lonely, and it feels like we mean nothing to anyone.
- We get a bad health report from the doctor.
These are all real life challenges that many of us face. And, it’s hard to stay “positive” in the midst of this … But I believe it is important in our journey to be grateful for all we have – even during the dark days.
Even when I don’t feel like being grateful, I have to make it a “decision” or a “choice” to be grateful. It’s a choice we have every day. I am encouraging you – and myself – to choose gratefulness.
Gratefulness does many splendid things for us:
- It gets our mind off our troubles and worries.
- It enables us to see the beauty in simple things around us/ the pretty flowers, sunrises and even just taking a breath of fresh air…. and much more.
- We are reminded to be grateful for the simple, small things because this is what keeps us “afloat” through hard times. I am thankful for my wonderful husband, my two daughters and our newest addition to our family…. my first grandson!
- Gratefulness keeps us from complaining all the time and keeps the negativity at bay.
- The more grateful we become, the happier we become…. and that’s the name of the game, right!?
Is it easy to remind ourselves to be grateful? No, often times it is not. We don’t live in a “dream world” without stress, problems and challenges , but each day on life’s journey we can learn that being positive and grateful spill into more blessings in our lives!
“This is a wonderful day. I’ve never seen this one before.” (Maya Angelou)
“Gratitude turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity… it makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” (Melody Beattie)
I choose gratefulness! I want to remind myself to keep an attitude of gratitude!