Most of us probably don’t have the perfect life, perfect marriage, perfect kids, or perfect home. I mean, no one really has it totally together and most of us aren’t happy in all areas of our lives – at the same moment. I frankly admit that I have had seasons in my own life where I have been “miserable” and hated waking up in the morning. There have been seasons where I couldn’t stand my job when I worked for lawyers through the years (I bet some of you have been there, too). And, I didn’t think I could make it to the weekend being a working mom with two kids. At times I was nearly crushed by stress such as when my husband, Mike, or I got downsized and lost our jobs (one year it was months apart)! Yikes – and we had mouths to feed and a mortgage…some of you may be able to relate to this. There was no “comfort”, no “fun”, no “peace” in these seasons.
Well, I think I am not alone. We often have many moments, days and even weeks where we are just not that content or happy. But life certainly isn’t a bowl of cherries. And there are circumstances that are certainly out of our control! But I learned through these many season in my own life, to just do simple things that I LIKE to do, at least once or twice a week – more if possible. If we can just do some of the things we enjoy and make it a habit, we will often feel refreshed and invigorated and feel like our lives are a whole lot better than we realized!.
For instance, I do some very simple things that I like to do that help:
- Taking a nice stroll on the beach. I find it is almost majestic to watch the sun come up and feel the sand in my toes and hear the pounding ocean waves. It’s so invigorating for me, and I feel differently after I have been up to the beach.
- Having a good hearty laugh – one where my jaw hurts, and I have to hold my side. This is a natural physical remedy for almost anything that ails me. How do I get this when sometimes life doesn’t present some funny stuff? I will rent a funny movie, and that seems to do the trick.
- Taking a nice, long bubble bath to relax and unwind. I sometimes will use moisturizing bath beads to refresh my skin, too, or Epsom salts to relieve my old, achy joints.
- Floating in my sister’s pool on a warm, sunny Florida day. Often, my bones and joints hurt – yes, they do! I’ll flop off the floatie, tread water, stretch and exercise my legs and arms in the water. (Did I mention that my sister, Carol, when we were kids won the “treading water” contest all the time? She could tread water for a whole 60 minutes)!
- Sitting outside and reading a good book – uninterrupted and peaceful!
- Sitting out front at night. I love when there is a cool breeze – it make looking at the sky, moon, and stars even more amazing.
- Grabbing a lunch out at one of my favorite spots with my husband, Mike, or my beautiful girls…. or some of my girlfriends.
And, I can tell when I HAVEN’T done anything that refreshes me or lightens my load because my whole outlook on life and my mood is grim. “All workie and no play does make Clare a dull girl” (and makes me an unhappy, moody, and cranky girl!)
Do what you love to do! Even doing the simplest smallest things for an hour a week or more can make a big difference. Get out on the weekends or when you are off. Take that adult night class you have been dying to take. Plan it on your calendar and be invigorated!
This may not solve every “major” problem in our lives and certainly won’t solve world hunger… but this will hopefully add some value to our own wellbeing and make us all feel better about ourselves and our own lives. Adding some fun, de-stressing, getting some rest, and relaxing can be great therapy!!!
Doing what we love may help us live longer, live better, and add life to our years!
So do what you love and be blessed!